This articles talk about – Bad experiences with English courses that one should enroll after joining US Universities because of having low IELTS, TOEFL test Scores (IELTS < 6.5, TOEFL < 79). Tips to avoid joining English courses in the First Semester in USA.
Recent days many students scoring IELTS score of 5.5, 6.0 and even though some are scoring minimum of 6.5 but with one of the sections having less than 6.5. Also, there are many TOEFL test takers scoring less than 79. Most of these guys get F1 Visa and join US Universities without knowing about English courses which screw them for semesters.
IELTS, TOEFL are tests to check the graduate student’s English proficiency. Universities set cut off limit like IELTS 6.5, TOEFL 79 as eligibility to get admission for graduate program. Though the score doesn’t meet cut-off they are giving admission to students.
But the students who got admission without meeting minimum criteria for admission should take English courses set by the university. Some universities are setting 1 or 2 English courses which you should finish by first semester or second semester. Some universities will keep you attending for the English courses until you make the required IELTS/TOEFL Score. In some universities students attended English courses for 2 or 3 semesters without attending any regular master’s degree level courses. You may need to retake IELTS, TOEFL.
All this is just waste of time and money. Your Budget for master’s degree will exceed, you need to spend lot of money for useless English courses.
Best and Worst Scenarios with English courses
Usually Best Scenarios would be
1) No need to attend English courses though you have less score.
2) Just attend for a English proficiency test at the university immediately after joining the university. (In this scenarios university will conduct a English test which you can clear easily. If you clear the exam conducted by the university you need not take English course.)
1) Take 3-6 English courses which may take 1-2 semesters. You are eligible to attend Graduate coursed until you clear English subjects.
Solution to the problem with Low IELTS, TOEFL Score
- First inquire the university about the constraints if you have low IELTS or TOEFL Score. Join the university only if you are fine with the conditions.
- Retake TOEFL or IETLS and meet the requirement set by the university before joining the university. Do it while you are in India.
- Transfer to another university