The German Academic Exchange Service or DAAD continues to monitor developments in the coronavirus and flexibly adjusts its activities to changing situations. In affected areas, we are in contact with the fellows, their relatives, and employees in order to provide them with the best possible support.
In order to counteract the spread of the coronavirus, the DAAD has decided to react to the dynamic situation with the adjustments in its promotional business described below. The focus is on the protection of beneficiaries, partners, and employees.
Please note that the situation is constantly changing and use the continuously updated information from the authorities, in particular from the Robert Koch Institute, as well as the relevant travel information from the Federal Foreign Office. The authorities are in constant contact and continuously evaluate current development.
Information for German scholarship holders and applicants
The Federal Foreign Office issued a worldwide travel warning today, which we would like to draw our attention to.
Commercial return travel options to Germany are increasingly severely
restricted worldwide or are no longer possible today. The warning contains the
information that “return programs” are being initiated for certain areas. We
ask our sponsors to make sure that they have entered the crisis preparedness
list so that they are informed about the current plans of the foreign missions
. It is strongly recommended to also
write down the emergency number that can be found on the website of the respective German
diplomatic mission and to find out more about other
contact options on the website of the respective embassy.
A FAQ site for worldwide travel warning has the Foreign Office here.
Please follow the instructions of the local authorities and keep yourself informed whether or when there are return options.
For scholarship holders from Germany who are abroad, return trips are possible and refundable. The DAAD will endeavor to provide accommodating opportunities for its sponsors. At this point, we will shortly provide you with an FAQ list.
We ask scholarship holders who have received funding from university projects (eg PROMOS) to contact their home university.
Updates on planned selections
All DAAD selection meetings with a personal introduction will be suspended until further notice. Applications for current tenders for the winter semester will continue to be accepted and processed, commission meetings will be partially carried out by video conference or a decision will be made on the basis of the written documents.
Due to the current decisions, it is necessary to stagger the timing and thus postpone individual selection decisions. We ask for your understanding of somewhat longer procedures.
Information about individual programs
Unfortunately, we have to completely suspend individual programs in spring/summer 2020. These are:
- RISE / WISE internship programs: Unfortunately, no internships can take place in spring/summer 2020. Commitments already made will be given priority in 2021, but no guarantee can be given for the same childcare place.
- IAESTE: The placement of internships within the IAESTE program will also be suspended until further notice.
- International teaching position: Applications for internships at German schools abroad and partner schools will continue to be accepted. The start of the scholarship is likely to be delayed.
- Congress and lecture tours: No new applications are currently being accepted. The program is suspended until further notice.
- International grants, especially long-term grants: The start of the scholarship has to be postponed depending on the situation.
- It is also currently not possible to apply for the “Short-Term Scholarships for Internships” and “Travel Grants for Mediated Internships Abroad” programs.
Information for international scholarship holders and applicants
We very much regret to have to inform you that individual grants for studying in Germany cannot be started in the summer semester 2020. In view of the Corona crisis, many universities have temporarily stopped teaching. Where possible, new arrival dates for the winter semester should be sought.
Funding for scholarship holders who cannot return to their home country due to travel restrictions will be extended. You will find more information on this here shortly.
Information about individual programs
We regret that we will have to completely suspend individual programs in spring/summer 2020. These are:
- RISE / WISE internship programs: Unfortunately, no internships can take place in spring/summer 2020. Commitments already made will be given priority in 2021, but unfortunately, no guarantee can be given for the same childcare place.
- University summer courses: Unfortunately, all university summer courses for summer 2020 have to be canceled. No further commitments are made until further notice.
Kindly note, university summer courses are different from the summer semester. Team Macha suggests you contact your university if in doubt. Got questions? Comment below with your question.